Haven't posted much lately - but nothing really has changed, still struggling with the nighttime lunacy...But Saturday was one of those days that make you wonder how we do the things we do for our kids...
In the morning, Muhammad saw this tiny "eye" sticker in Mariam's hand that he wanted. In one of the rarest instances of her not giving him what he wants - she ran into my room and threw it in the garbage in my bathroom. Of course, he became hysterical - and I found myself digging through a trash can with God-knows what in it to find this TINY sticker at the bottom.
Next, we were in Morgan Hill at Yousuf and Leila's daycare for an open house - so I took Noora to see Yahya afterwards to see if he can pull out her tooth. Noora didn't lose her first tooth until after her 8th birthday...the permanent tooth came in behind it (I call it "sharky" because she had 2 rows of teeth like sharks :) The tooth next to it, also came in behind the baby tooth - but it was more crooked, and was too far back to push out her baby tooth. So her 2nd tooth needed to be taken out.
That was another experience I'd rather have done without....First he gave her nitrous oxide ("laughing gas") to relax her, then put some topical anesthetic for the novocaine injection. She didn't feel anything, but she was still terrified of what she might feel. It took me over 2 weeks to convince her that we needed to have it taken out - so she was still pretty nervous. Meanwhile, M&M were in the waiting room having a nervous breakdown because it was 3 hours past their nap. Definitely one of those times, I wished I hadn't volunteered to take all 3 of them out without Khaled. So as I sat with Noora while she talked with the Dental Assistant, I ran back and forth to the waiting room to calm them down. I got back to Noora just in time to watch Yahya yank the tooth out - NOT a fun sight for me to see. But alhamdulillah she didn't feel anything, I probably felt it more than she did.
I know from experience that these types of events are heaven compared to others we go through as parents (for example, M&M having the stomach flu at the same time and one or both of them throwing up every 10 minutes all day and night, or when Mariam fell and hurt her head, and sitting in the ER for several hours waiting to see if they'll have to put a staple in it) but it's times like these that I realize that having kids changes our lives forever - and we will never ever be "stress-free" again...and no matter how old they get, we'll always worry about them.