Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Ramblings of the past 3 years

Muhammad and Mariam turned 3 last month. This birthday kind of marks a turning point in our lives. They have become increasingly better at communicating, which in turn has made them happier kids and much easier to handle. I don't really remember going through the "terrible 2's" so much with Noora. She was our first, all our energy and attention were focused on her so I think tantrums were fewer and less noticeable or at least, less memorable!

With M&M things are very different. We have gone from focusing on 1 child, instantly to 3. This kind of makes me sad that they will never get the undivided attention that Noora got - but I guess that kind of goes with the territory of having more than 1 kid! Add to that, I truly believe, that they were much more "moody" kids than Noora was. For the first few months, Mariam was colicky - OMG was she ever! Muhammad would join in the screaming, just for the fun of it... Just remembering those times, makes me wonder how I even survived.

It's odd - as they became toddlers, Muhammad's tantrums were mostly at home. It's like he got bored at home and wanted to make life interesting for all of us. He loved being out of the house, so he was always much happier if went out. Mariam was the COMPLETE opposite. She LOVED the safety and comfort of being at home. She was terrified of anyone that came near her, and made going out with her a nightmare. Imagine what taking her to Egypt when she was a year and a half like! Not only was she surrounded by strange people, she was in a strange house and surroundings. That trip was very memorable!

I guess all that makes their stay with a nanny the first 2 years of their lives somewhat of a mixed blessing. It was WONDERFUL for me to have them well taken care of at home, and made my life much easier. But in the past year, since they've been in pre-school, they have improved significantly! Last weekend I took them to a drop-in daycare with their sister and cousins so I could do a little shopping and go to a movie with Yahya and Peri. I was amazed when they let me leave with no screaming, and even moreso when they kept asking me to go back!!!

Nowadays the challenges are different...although the tantrums have gotten better (and when they do happen, a timeout usually takes care of them)...we now deal with things like them fighting. The fights usually start with a little bickering, to a push from one, a hit from the other, and then hair pulling, biting, you name it. I can probably imagine that while the fighing over toys may subside, the bickering will continue as they get older. I guess I gotta get used it.

Noora is struggling with her jealousy of her brother and sister. Even at 8, it's still hard for her to give up the undivided attention she is so used to from us. Even though she is GREAT at playing with them when she wants to, there are times she just comes and sits next to me like she is a baby wanting me to cuddle with her like I used to. Then there are the times where she decides she doesn't want to have anything to do with them, and hates them going anywhere near her room or her stuff. Kind of a pre-teen thing I guess - but it just seems SO early for that :((((

Oh well, I just thought I'd give a quick summary of the past 3 years in case anyone reading has any interest in what our life with twins is like....To be continued :))