I'm so happy to have Yahya and his family back in California. For the past few years, it's been really hard on me after my parents left. I had spent 10 years so dependent on them, that when they left, I felt like I had gotten dropped from the highest building without a parachute. Now that I've managed to survive and Khaled and I have learned to do things on our own, I miss having family around. I am sad that M&M won't have the same bond with my parents that Noora has because of all the time she has spent with them when she was younger - but I am happy that they have their cousins around to grow up with. That is something Yahya and I missed out on when we were younger and I love watching how close they are becoming. Mariam and Leila are the best of friends, Mariam is always watching out for her. Noora and Yousuf are so close, and at the same time, I see how Yousuf and Muhammad can grow to be best buds too with only a 2 year age difference! Already it's funny to watch them wrestle and do typical boy stuff when Yousuf is tired of playing with Noora.
On a positive note, luckily the grandparents spend enough time here during the year where the kids are always asking about them. Our visits to Egypt solidify that connection and insha'allah we will be able to make it there every year as planned.