Thursday, January 10, 2008

Fawzi-isms

Ok, for the longest time, Khaled and I have been wanting to document the things the kids say that are funny. For Noora, I tried to catch all her words on video - but that isn't as easy anymore. So I'm going to put down what I remember, and add more as they come to me...

Most of them are funny versions of Arabic words since that's all we speak at home....so for you non-Arabs out there, they might not make much sense.

Noora:
* "Biya biya biya" - Arabiya arabiya arabiya (car, car car - her first word, couldn't say it just once)
* "Nu" - Noor (light)
* "Legly" - Regly (my foot)
* "Shimmaha wihish" - It smells bad
* "Sakama" - Samaka (fish)
* "Zibra" - Bizra (seed)
* "Aal'lini" - Aal'li (told me)

Muhammad:
* "Ana princess kamaaaan!" - I'm a princess too!
* "Makama" - Samaka (fish)
* "Ohhhhhh!" - Everytime you would tell him even the most obvious things....
* "Nooni Oh" - When my mom would copy him
* "Nooni Oh tany" - When my mom would repeat it again
* "Kassib kassib" - When Khaled hugs them - he squeezes their back and says "kabbis kabbis" - this is his rendition...

Mariam:
(Mariam is a born comedian - everything she says is funny, even if she doesn't mispronounce them - just by the expression on her face - if she wasn't so shy, she could do stand-up for a living!)
* "YOU DADDY ME MOMMY, OK??!!" - Yelling at Muhammad to play house
* "Kakama" - Samaka (fish)
* "Papa oul no to me" - Papa said no to me (1/2 Arabic 1/2 English)
* "Sampa Boody" - Sleeping Beauty (Mariam believes she IS Sleeping Beauty :)
* "Muhammad 3andoh tail" - Muhammad has a tail :) HAHAHA, no more explanation.

M&M (words they both say):
* "Eh" - Yes
* "Maya" - What they each called each other, until about age 2.5, then it was "Memed" & "Mayam"
* "Blamblool" - Mablool (wet)
* "Lookit" - Look or Look at it
* "Wa-ara" - Wara'ah (paper)
* "Youn" - Television
* "Beess" - Ilbis (wear, put on) - "Papa beess ana shorab" (Papa put my socks on)
* "Abees" - To close or turn off, not sure where they got it from, probably a variation of "ilbis" - "No more abees youn" (Don't turn off the tv)
* "Al'last" - Khalast (i'm finished) - "Ana al'last kaka" (I finished ...) :)
* "Hilis" - Khilis (finished) - "Laban hilis" (Milk is finished)
* "I got dis" - I want to do it - I got dis beess gazma" (I want to put on my shoes :)
* "Kakaba" - Kanaba (sofa)
* "Sa7 mommy good job"
* "Kusti" - Kursi (chair)
* "Jamama" - Basically "Pajama" but they use it to refer to regular clothes too.
* "For3a" - Bisor3a - Quickly
* "Bamboor" - Not sure if I should translate since it's kind of gross, oh well, they ARE kids :) it should be "Barboor" which means booger :)))
* "Ana hay" - This means they WILL do something. If I say, "Mariam, ma ti3mileesh kida (don't do that)" She'll say, "Ana hay" - which should be "Ana ha3milha", but they just truncate the sentence and use "Ana hay" for anything....This is besides the fact that there is a discipline issue going on too :))))
* "Karhaba" - KaHraba (electricity) - they learned this from being in Egypt and the power going off once...something they've never experienced before. So now everytime the lights go off, they say "El karhaba bazit?" (Did the electricity break?) Also from the paranoia of everything being 220v there, and no real safety factors - so we're always telling them, MA TIMSIKOOSH EL KAHRABA!! (Don't touch the electricity! ie. outlets, wires, etc.)