Thursday, May 15, 2008

Summer's almost here...and illnesses....

The past few weeks have been pretty hectic. Well, hectic is normal - these were a bit over and above :) First off, I'm leaving for Egypt soon...so getting ready for that has been somewhat overwhelming while also unpacking from the move. But ready or not, I only have 10 more days before I go insha'allah. I've pretty much decided I can't get gifts for everyone like I do every year...no time or energy. So I'm just struggling with normal shopping.....

The one really wierd thing I wanted to talk about was Muhammad's most recent issue. A few weeks ago, he banged his thumb in a folding table....so when a couple of weeks later I noticed his nail was coming off I figured it was from that. Then I noticed that ALL his fingernails had turned white and were peeling off from the cuticle!! It was the oddest, most nerve-racking thing I've ever seen!! Well I took him to the dr. who said it was probably a reaction from him being sick alot this winter...but suggested we see a specialist nonetheless. I took him to a Stanford pediatric dermatologist and she confirmed what his dr. said. Basically, when a person is sick, his/her nails stop growing for a short time. When they are sick alot or get a high fever, sometimes the new nail starts growing underneath the old one. Alhamdulillah, it's nothing serious, but definitely something to remember! Alot of his nails have completely fallen off and the new ones are in, but a few are still peeling off slowly. Khaled cuts them carefully so that they do not snag on anything and hurt him...personally that is just too gross for me to handle!!