Saturday, April 26, 2008

It's been a while....

Wow, it's been exactly 2 months since I last posted. When I first started the blog, I promised myself it wouldn't be yet another project that I didn't keep up. Well, alot has happened in the past 2 months - which I hope are valid excuses for the delay.

So, starting where I left off...I thoroughly enjoyed my business trip. I went to the movies alone one night after work, even though I was dead tired - but I felt that the fact there was a movie theatre in the same parking lot as the hotel was a sign from God that I should go out. I went to restaurants, and read magazines and books whenever I wanted. But I also went out after work looking for toys and little surprises to get for the kids. The day my trip was over, I couldn't wait to see them....Noora was with Khaled waiting for me when I arrived - and then we went to pick up the kids, and it was heart-wrenching. Mariam came running to me, hugged and kissed me and was all smiles. Muhammad, on the other hand, stood next to me, stroked my face and then burst out crying....it was heartbreaking. I was happy to be home - but nevertheless, I was happy to have had a small break, and happpy that Khaled got to experience what happens on a daily basis behind the scenes.

The next day we went to Disneyland for the weekend. We had Ahmad and Nadine with us and their kids. It is always awesome seeing Disney through the kids eyes the first time. This time, it was multiplied because of Mariam's newfound obsession with Disney Princesses. They rode rides for the first time and totally loved it, but the sheer joy on her face when she met the Princesses...I will put some pictures up on the photos site. The other awesome thing was the connection M&M made with Zaina. I'm so happy that they are so close with Yahya's kids, but now they are also best buddies with Zaina, and I love having family around.

After we got back, my mom and Ameera arrived. Their trip came up kind of randomly a few weeks earlier, and I was happy they were coming - but as it turned out, the day they arrived was 10 days before we were supposed to move. I had only packed about 3 boxes of books - and was starting to panic. As usual, my mom saved me. She stepped in and did work that no woman her age should be able to do. She whipped the place into shape and we had it packed up on moving day, ready to go. I love my mom. We have disagreements, and we don't always see eye to eye - but I truly believe I am a better person because of her. I strive to be the kind of mother she is to my kids, and I pray that I will be the kind of daughter she was to my grandmother to her.

Next came the horrendous move....we moved, we did all the repairs and fumigation required, and waited for escrow to close. But it was delayed - one day, turned to two, turned to two weeks+ The buyers were horrible, the agent was just as bad or worse, and the whole experience was so stressful. We couldn't even hang pictures on the wall because we weren't sure if the deal would fall through and we'd have to go back (AAAGH!). So, alhamdulillah, the deal finally closed and we breathed a sigh of relief. It's been about 2 weeks since then, and we're just now starting to settle in - although the garage still has alot of stuff to sift through and (hopefully) throw away. We're only renting for now - that way when we find our "dream house" we aren't tied down waiting for ours to sell.

Bedtime the first few nights was pretty heartbreaking....the kids would cry incessantly saying, "3ayza arooh beit mommy, 3ayza arooh beit mommy pink" ("I want to go to Mommy's house, I want to go to Mommy's pink house) :((( The bedroom they slept in at the old house was Mariam's room, which was painted pink and purple - so that's what that meant. It's sad because we drive past the house everyday on the way to their school - so they are always asking to go back. Oh well, that's the way life goes I guess.

Now, we're getting ready to go to Egypt for the summer. The kids were really bummed when my mom left, and ask to go see her on a daily basis - so I'm looking forward to them spending the summer with their grandparents and cousins....

So, that brings me pretty much up to date. Hopefully the next post won't be in another 2 months....luckily there's internet access in Egypt so that shouldn't be an excuse :))